Friday 18 January 2013

The Project: New Design Document

New Design Concept

Currently I am planning on making assets for an interior of a Victorian steampunk factory, with the architecture itself depending on time. I decided not to continue with the previous project due to it being extremely 2D based and I wish to pursue a 3D route.

The first thing to consider is the type of factory I would create. While I wanted it to look fairly realistic, I did not want it to be too similar to a real function in Victorian times as it is meant to be part of a steampunk world.

After looking at match making factories I came across the toxic and corrosive element phosphorus. Matchsticks would be dipped into this to enable it to be ignited. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus)

One of the characteristics I found to be quite interesting.  "The first form of elemental phosphorus to be produced (white phosphorus, in 1669) emits a faint glow upon exposure to oxygen".
This led me to consider an alternative light source to oil or electricity. While the raw material has a faint glow it could potentially be processed into a liquid which has a more intense glow, and the illumination fluid factory idea was formed!


I want the factory to be fairly empty, like it has not been used in a while, possibly with rusting machinery and broken barrels. Cobwebs would be present and the whole atmosphere would be dark and sinister. The phosphorous would have an eerie blueish glow in the vats.

To contrast the blue I would like the time of day to be late afternoon/dusk. With the sun setting through the broken windows with most objects and walls having a warm light quality to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment